Matthew Jackson at Mental Floss presents The 25 Greatest Heist Movies of All Time. Jackson’s list is a good one. I’ve seen 18 of the 25 films listed. Here are my thoughts on each of the movies Jackson selected.
1. THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950) – An excellent choice for number one. John Huston directs a great cast in a classic film.
2. RIFIFI (1955) – The heist itself is an extended classic scene without dialogue. Another excellent choice.
3. THE LADYKILLERS (1955) – I haven’t seen this one.
4. THE KILLING (1956) – I love this film and it gets better with each viewing. I wouldn’t have argued if it had placed higher.
5. BOB LE FLAMBEUR (1956) – I haven’t seen this one, but would like to.
6. THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1968) – The first film on the list that I’ve seen and didn’t love. In fact I would have chosen McQueen in The Getaway instead.
7. THE ITALIAN JOB (1969) – I haven’t seen it.
8. THE STING (1973) – Newman and Redford re-teamed for an excellent follow-up to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
9. DOG DAY AFTERNOON (1975) – A unique story told from a perspective most wouldn’t expect.
10. BLUE COLLAR (1978) – I’ve never seen this one and until this list didn’t realize it was a heist film.
11. THIEF (1981) – Thief takes us into a world alien to us civilians. You can see the groundwork for Heat being developed by Mann.
12. DIE HARD (1988) – A classic. Until this list, I had never considered Die Hard to be a heist movie but it is.
13. RESERVOIR DOGS (1992) – My favorite Tarantino movie.
14. HEAT (1995) – Love this one. I wonder why it didn’t rate higher.
15. BOTTLE ROCKET (1996) – I haven’t see this one.
16. OUT OF SIGHT (1998) – I was surprised by how much I liked this one. I need to see it again.
17. SEXY BEAST (2000) – I haven’t seen this one.
18. OCEAN’S ELEVEN (2001) – Saw it when it was first released and thought it was ok.
19. INSIDE MAN (2006) – Another movie that I thought was just ok.
20. THE TOWN (2010) – I love The Town and would have rated it much higher.
21. FAST FIVE (2011) – I like the Fast & Furious series but truthfully they all start to run together as they get more and more outlandish. I still dig ’em though.
22. HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016) – Surprisingly good and doesn’t follow the typical Hollywood format.
23. BABY DRIVER (2017) – What a stylishly unique film. I can’t wait to see it again…
24. LOGAN LUCKY (2017) – This was a much better and funnier movie than I expected.
25. WIDOWS (2018) – I haven’t seen it, but wouldn’t mind doing so.
Click over to Matthew Jackson’s The 25 Greatest Heist Movies of All Time to see trailers and learn more about each film.