- The Lion King (mostly because of my memories of seeing how much my sons enjoyed it when we saw it on the big screen)
- Toy Story (same reason as #1)
- Beauty and the Best (same reason as #1)
Wow! There are quite a few in the top 10 that I haven’t seen. Makes it easy to pick my top 3:
- When Harry Met Sally (mainly because of the classic deli scene — it still makes me chuckle)
- Sleepless in Seattle
- Moonstruck (Cher and Nic Cage before he became an action star!)
This is a much tougher category. I love a good western.
- The Searchers (The AFI got this one right!)
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Ask me again next week and Unforgiven, The Wild Bunch, Shane or even Red River could make the list at 2 or 3.
Ah, my all time favorite movie makes this list…
- Raging Bull
- The Hustler
Another tough category…
- North by Northwest
- The Maltese Falcon
- The Usual Suspects
With Rear Window, Vertigo and Chinatown just missing out.
Fantasy: The AFI and I agree on the top film! [It’s my all-time #2 favorite movie.]
- The Wizard of Oz
- King Kong
- The Lord of the Rings
Sci-Fi: A bunch of great films made the list, but where is Aliens, The Matrix, Highlander, etc?
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Gangster: The AFI got it right again… at least with the number 1 slot!
- The Godfather
- The Godfather, Part II
- Pulp Fiction
Courtroom Drama: Wow! The AFI and I are in sync… at least for the top2.
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- 12 Angry Men
- A Few Good Men
Compulsion would have been my third choice if it had made the AFI list.
- Saving Private Ryan
Lists like these make me want to pull down some of the classics and watch them again.