Mr. Inbetween: Season 1 (2018)
Written by: Scott Ryan
Directed by: Nash Edgerton
Stars: Scott Ryan, Justin Rosniak, Brooke Satchwell, Nicholas Cassim, Chika Yasumura, Damon Herriman, Matt Nable and Firass Dirani
Ray Shoesmith is a professional criminal/killer with an anger problem. Ray’s also juggling his responsibilities as a divorced dad with a young daughter and is caretaker of his older brother who suffers from a degenerative neural disease.
In season one Ray…
- helps out a best friend whose wife found his “unusual” porn collection
- meets a potential new girlfriend
- deals with a punks who rude to his daughter
- takes on a hit that goes sideways
- has trouble keeping his cool at court-ordered anger management sessions
- helps a friend with a corpse…
- refuses to apologize to a crime boss he offended (and has to deal with the ramifications)
- learns an undercover cop is on to him
- has two hitman kidnap him (thankfully one is pretty dumb)
Thoughts (beware of spoilers)…
Scott Ryan has created a likable character that does terrible things. Mr. Inbetween has a great mix of drama and comedy. The humor comes from the situations that Ray finds himself in. There’s a scene so shocking, funny and outrageous in episode three that to give it away would be a sin. The show is well written, acted and directed. Each episode clocks in between 21 and 32 minutes which makes it perfect if time is short.
Mr. Inbetween: Season 1 (2018) earns 5 of 5 stars.