Even if you’re too young to have ever watched Captain Kangaroo, I’ll bet you know what a huge part he played in the lives of kids growing up in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and even the 80’s! Each morning as a child, I can remember sitting in front of the television waiting for the Captain to get his big key ring full of keys to open the Treasure House. Then we’d wait to see who would pop in… Mister Green Jeans, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose [watch out for falling ping pong balls], Grandfather Clock… there were cartoons and all kinds of cool stuff [for kids].
I outgrew the Captain Kangaroo show well before the 60’s ended, but I never outgrew the good feeling that it left me as a child.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Keeshan‘s family and friends.
Martin [Goodfellas] Scorsese, Dean [The Servants of Twilight] Koontz, Marcus [The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake] Nispel and producer Tony [“24”] Krantz have pooled their creative talents to bring us the show which will most likely premiere this fall.
Dark Horizons has more details right [HERE].
Well, I’m happy to say that Niles and Templesmith are creating a final six issue mini-series called “Return to Barrow.” The first issue will be out in March.
Templesmith seems psyched when he says, “This is going to be the big finale for 30 Days, where everything comes full circle… I’m working on the first issue now and it reads even more like a movie than the original did too. It’s pretty cool!”
For full details click [HERE] and if it sounds like something that you’d like, let your local comic dealer know to reserve you a copy. I know I am.
Jeff’s graphic novel, Interman, was just named as one of the four Best Graphic Novels of 2004 by the Young Adult Library Services Association.
They’re not the only ones who like Parker‘s Interman.
Entertainment Weekly praised it in their first comic/graphic novel review column. It’s been optioned for a the big screen.
Oh, and before I forget, congrats to Jeff!
Here are some random thoughts on Movies Coming Out This Year…
- “Alien vs Predator” could be like when the two baddest guys in school fought… it wasn’t pretty but ya just had to go watch.
- “Catwoman” starring Halle Berry should have been a winner. The buzz on it is terrible and looking at her outfit you can see why.
- “The Stepford Wives” doesn’t do much for me, but then again neither did the original. Maybe it will surprise me but I’m not counting on it.
- M. Knight Shyamalan‘s “The Village” is getting a mixed reception so far, but it’s still early and Shyamalan‘s past track record is excellent. I hoping for really good things.
- “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of…” –– I’ve yet to see the others, so this one is below my radar.
- “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow” is the movie I’m most anticipating at this point. [Well, except for “Shade”… and “The Chronicles of Riddick”]. This could be the surprise hit of the season.
- “Collateral” teams Michael Mann and Tom Cruise. This should be excellent, but the story doesn’t thrill me… or maybe it’s the casting of Jamie Fox.
- “I, Robot” has potential… Will Smith in a movie based on an Issac Assimov story directed by Alex [“Dark City” and “The Crow”] Proyas? Yeah, count me in.
- “Kill Bill, Volume 2” is said to be more like the Tarantino of old. I’ll be there hoping that’s true.
- “Troy” is hoping to live up to “Gladiator” [not to mention Homer’s “The IIiad”] and Brad Pitt is leading the way. Ya just gotta support the gladiator revivial. ; )
- “Ladykillers” teams the Cohen Brothers and Tom Hanks. This one looks strange. Well, what’d ya expect?
- “The Chronicles of Riddick” is the movie I’m most anticipating at this point [Well, except for “Shade”… and “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow“]. Hmmm… where have you heard that before.
- “The Incredibles” is from Brad [“The Iron Giant”] Bird and Pixar. You just know it’s going to be fun.
- “Starsky and Hutch” looks like fun, but I bet I’ll wait for a rental.
- “Spider-Man 2” looks to be the box office champ. The buzz is even better than the first.
- “The Manchurian Candidate” is an updating of the cold war thriller and stars Denzel Washington and Meryl Strepp. When was the last time I was looking forward to a Meryl Streep movie?
- “Shrek 2” – I guess I should see the first one first.
- “Alexander” -[Ya just gotta support the gladiator revivial. ; ) ] and this one stars Colin Farrell and is directed by Oliver Stone!
- “King Arthur” – remember what I said about gladiator movies? Well, this one isn’t one!
- “Dawn of the Dead” is a retelling of the George Romero classic. I’ll be there, but still wonder why Romero isn’t doing another…
- “Hellboy” is the movie I’m most anticipating at this point [Well, except for “Shade”… and “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow“.. and… aw… nevermind…]
- “Van Helsing” will be out soon. It has sooo much potential…. but then again so did Halle Berry in “Catwoman.”
I thought that The Rock starring in a remake of Walking Tall was a bad idea.
The Rock was, pardon the expression, on a roll.
Think about it… great reviews for his small role in “The Mummy Returns.” Then a prequel about his character “The Scorpion King.” And then The Rock totally wows everyone with the very good and very underrated “The Rundown.”
But The Rock starring as a backwater sheriff who carries a two-by-four to fight Southern Mobsters?
No way that could work. Right? Wrong.
The trailer looks good and they’ve updated and changed the story to fit The Rock. And with his charisma, I think it’ll work.
Check out the trailer and let me know…
… am I wrong?
Wait a minute! Hellboy and The Goon?
But hey’ve never teamed up… Oh yeah, you guessed it fanboy…
Now how cool is that?
Cool enough that I’d call my local comic shop and reserve a copy or two now
Steve Niles [30 Days of Night] and Chee [Wake the Dead] are teaming up for a three issue comic adaptation of the original “Dawn of the Dead” to be released in April.
Niles says the only liberties that he’s taking will be where the film makers were hampered by budget constraints.
Niles said that when he was asked about doing the adaptation, there was no trepidation. “I’m so excited that I’ve been asked to do this. This was such an important movie in my life.”
While none were near the classic level of the first, they were all still a lot of fun.
That’s why I’m looking forward to the “Dawn of the Dead” remake starring Ving Rhames. The trailer was pretty cool and the poster is as well. And I’m thinking that while it may not be a classic, I’ll bet it’s a lot of fun.
Rose holds 19 Major League records, including the All-time Major League records for most career hits – 4,256 and most games played – 3,562.
Why is Rose not in? Because as a manager he gambled on baseball. Although he never bet against his team and never threw a game, gamblling on baseball when you’re a player or manager is against the rules.
Did Rose deserve to be punished? Yes, and he has been.
Rose‘s book, My Prison Without Bars, details just how much he’s been punished.
As a manager, Rose broke the rules and perhaps the ban should be for life… but, the records that he set were as a player and it is because of these records that he deserves the opportunity to be voted into the Hall of Fame.
It’s on Tuesday nights at 10pm and follows the lives of FBI agents and the underworld criminals they have sworn to take down.
Line of Fire has an interesting structure in that it shows how the mobsters‘ lives parallel those of the agents after them. The show is well written, well directed and well cast. I’ve watched every episode since the first and it just keeps getting better.
“And that’s that about that.”
That’s right! It’s being reported that all the annulment papers had been signed by both Spears and Alexander and are expected to be filed when the courts open today.
So much for until Death Do Us Part… this one didn’t even last until the ink had dried on the marriage contract!
Man, that really stinks. Especially when you consider that most series started their new seasons last September. At least the second season will be out on dvd this month.
While I’m sure Seinfield jokes will abound, the fact that Britney got married is not.
And that somehow seems as surprising as “The Crocodile Hunter” holding his one month old in his arm as he went in to feed a huge croc.