Ben Sherlock at ScreenRant decided to take on the task of determining The Best Action Movie From Each Year In The ’80s and then he ranked them. Ben’s list is a good one and it got me thinking about the best action movie I’d choose for each year in the 80s. So here we go…
- 1980: The Empire Strikes Back. This one surprised me since I’m not a big Star Wars fan. Truthfully, there wasn’t a lot of competition for the 1980 title and I ended up going with Ben’s choice.
- 1981: The Road Warrior. Ben selected Raiders of the Lost Ark. 1981, was for me, one of the toughest years of the decade because we had so many films in the running. I considered Raiders, of course, but I also looked at Escape from New York and Nighthawks before deciding on The Road Warrior. All of the others had merit and are great films, but for pure action, give me The Road Warrior.
- 1982: First Blood. Ben and I agreed again. First Blood it is
- 1983: Sudden Impact. Again, Ben and I agree. I was surprised because going in, I didn’t think that Sudden Impact would be my top action film for the year, but 1983 wasn’t a strong year for action films. Sudden Impact is good, but not great, yet it still got out votes.
- 1984: Terminator. Again, Ben and I agree. The only other contender in my view was Red Dawn and Terminator is so much better.
- 1985: Rambo: First Blood, Part II. Ben went with Jackie Chan’s Police Story. I considered it as well as Commando and Runaway Train but ultimately went with Sly Stallone returning as John Rambo.
- 1986: Aliens. Ben and I are back on the same page. Aliens was so amazing, how could any other film get the nod?
- 1987: Lethal Weapon. Ben went with Robocop. I considered that and Predator. 1987 was a tough year with three great action films but ultimately I went with Lethal Weapon.
- 1988: Die Hard. Ben and I agreed that Die Hard was the best for 1988.
- 1989: Lethal Weapon 2. Again Ben and I were on the same page.
So Ben and I agreed on 7 of the 10 films. I’d be curious as to how many you agreed with and were there films you would have picked that I didn’t even consider? Comments below!