Last night the UFC along with FX and FOX put on a great night of fights. Let’s look at my predictions and the results.
- Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson
Prediction: Thompson with a decision win.
Result: Thompson won by TKO at 3:44 of the 2nd, making me 1-0 for the night.
- Matt Brown vs. Jordan Mein
Prediction: Brown with a decision win.
Result: Brown won by TKO at 1:00 of the 2nd, making me 2-0 for the night.
- Frank Mir vs. Daniel Cormier
Prediction: Mir wins via stoppage.
Result: Cormier won by unanimous decision, making me 2-1 for the night.
- Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez
Prediction: Henderson wins via decision.
Result: Henderson won by split decision at 3:44, making me 3-1 for the night.
- Josh Thompson stuck to his game plan and it paid off. Diaz tried to lure him into a brawl, but Thompson was content to get in, score and get out. When they did stand and mix it up Thompson was getting the best of it. Well played, Josh Thompson.
- Matt Brown looked amazing and made what should have been a tougher fight look fairly easy. Brown took some shots, but would not be denied. Can’t wait to see who Matt “The Immortal” Brown fights next.
- Mir vs Cormier should have been a better fight. Cormier was content to push Mir against the cage and do little. Mir had no answer. In the third round Mir began to light up Cormier’s midsection with kicks, but by then it was too little, too late.
- Henderson and Melendez put on a fight! It was five grueling rounds of back and forth action. There were a lot of boos when the decision was announced. I had it 3-2 for Henderson, but except for two of the judges (who split 2-1 for Henderson), it sounded like everyone else saw it 3-2 for Melendez. Rematch, anyone?