UFC put on a great night of free fights on FOX SPORTS 1 last night. Let’s take a look at the main card and my predictions…
- Michael Johnson vs. Joe Lauzon
Prediction: Lauzon by decision.
Result: Johnson by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-25) making me 0 – 1 for the night.
- Uriah Hall vs. John Howard
Prediction: Hall by TKO
Result: Howard by Split Decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28) making me 0 – 2 for the night.
- Mike Pyle vs. Matt Brown
Prediction: Brown by decision
Result: Brown by first round KO (29 seconds) making me 1 – 2 for the night.
- Yuri Alcantara vs. Urijah Faber
Prediction: Faber by decision
Results: Faber by Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27) making me 2 – 2 for the night.
- Alistair Overeem vs. Travis Browne
Prediction: Overeem by TKO
Result: Browne by first round KO (4:08) making me 2 – 3 for the night.
- Chael Sonnen vs. Mauricio Rua
Prediction: Sonnen by decision
Results: Sonnen by first round submission (4:47) making me 3 – 3 for the night.
- Conor McGregor, who fought in the prelims in his first UFC fight, is getting a ton of hype. While it’s true that McGregor won via a unanimous decision, is the hype warranted? Uriah Hall, anyone?
- Michael Johnson beat the brakes off of Joe Lauzon. I was really surprised that Lauzon looked so bad. Here’s hoping Lauzon bounces back. Perhaps this fight was the start of really good things for Johnson.
- Uriah Hall has really failed to live up to his hype. While Hall looked like he’d be a top contender when he was knocking everyone out and sending them to the emergency room while fighting on The Ultimate Fighter, I thought the talk of him coming off the show and fighting for the title was crazy. It was. Dana White has even gone so far as to say, Hall is not a fighter. My guess is that White will give Hall one more fight to turn things around.
- Matt Brown has won six in a row and is calling for a title fight. I’d say he’s earned it.
- Yuri Alcantara took Urijah Faber down within seconds of the first round of the fight. Alcantara proceeded to put a beating on Faber and it looked like the fight was on the way to a quick end. Faber showed a warrior’s heart and continued to fight back until he reversed the situation. For the rest of the round and the next two, it was all Faber. Very impressive win for the California Kid.
- Alistair Overeem came out and as expected started to put a beating on Travis Browne. Hard shots to the head and knees to the gut rained down on Browne… but he wouldn’t quit. Both men looked tired towards the end of the first round and as Overeem came plodding in, Browne unleashed a front kick that landed square on Overeem’s chin. As Overeem fell to the mat, Browne followed dropping a couple of hard shots before the ref could step in. It will be interesting to see how this plays out… will the win help Browne more than the loss will hurt Overeem?
- Chael Sonnen chokes out Mauricio Rua in the first round! Sonnen is one of the most entertaining fighters outside of the ring and he is competitive with the best fighters in two weight classes. Sonnen has to be loving life. I know his fans are.